Friday, March 11, 2005

Beer and pizza tonight :)

Well, the NRL (National Rugby League) season for 2005 kicks off tonight. Hooray!
Although I don't mind watching the tennis in Summer, I much prefer rugby league.

The team I support, Parramatta Eels (stop sniggering those of you in Sydney!), has had a rough trot the last couple of years (in other words, they've played completely crap), so we're hoping for a better effort this year. Of course, it would help if they sacked the useless coach, Brian Smith, he reaaally needs to go.

Anyways, one of the good things about footy, is that the traditional accompaniments are pizza and beer! So, of course, unfortunately, I will be compelled to eat pizza and drink beer tonight. Mind you, I think I will be able to bear up under the strain :)

Although we do get pizza delivered from time to time, I have also been known to make my own, dough and all. Took me a couple of tries, but I'm happy with how I make 'em now. Not to go too much into it, but it really matters what temperature liquid you put into the dough, too hot and the yeast will die; which means no rising of the dough, flat as a pancake.

So tonight, it is home made pizza with our favourite toppings. I've heard that over in the US, pineapple on pizza is akin to sacrilege (or just plain weird), but it is quite common here, yummy.
So, pizza topping tonight will go as follows: pizza sauce (a tomato paste with oregano and other herbs in it), pepperoni, ham, pineapple, shallots, cracked pepper, pizza cheese (a mix of cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan), and if I am feeling daring (read: can be bothered), I'll grate some nutmeg over the top.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

The beer, well there are lots and lots and lots of beer here (seriously, lots). Australians drink heaps of beer, and we have plenty to choose from, both local and imported.
On the imported side, I am keen on Corona, with a wedge of lime jammed in the top. However, being imported, it is also on the pricey side, about 60 bucks a carton. So we tend not to get that too often.
Today what I'll probably pick up is Carlton Premium Dry, which is a dry Melbourne beer, very easy to drink, and a lot easier on the money side too.

Shoulda seen this coming, I'm thirsty now. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive had pineapple on pizza here in the US from time to time.

I think the basic rule of thumb is dont mix toppings:

Thus, pinapple, ham, and green peppers would go well together (sorta like sweet & sour!) But dont add sausage.

Or sausage, green peppers, onions, mushrooms. But stay away from the pineapple.

As long as the sweet and the salty stay apart, its all good, I think :) The cheese tends to pick up the flavor of the topping.

And then theres those freaks who like broccoli on their pizza ;)

2:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home