Saturday, September 24, 2005

There is a season - turn, turn, turn

Well, I learnt something today, and it is only 6:50 in the morning!

I always knew that America's seasons didn't change on the same date as us, but I'd never got around to looking it up. But, as I was reading Golly Blog Howdy, the first line said "Today at 3:23pm PDT, Autumn arrived." Holy crap, I thought, there is an exact time as well as date for the season to turn?? So, I googled it, as you do, on a Saturday morning when you really should be seeing if you can go back to bed and get more sleep. And I found the following:

Vernal (Spring) Equinox March 20 1233
Summer Solstice June 21 06:46
Autumnal Equinox September 22 22:23
Winter Solstice December 21 18:35
Times are in Universal Time (I say as if I know what that means ...)


So, there you go, now that is precise.

Here, the seasons turn at the beginning of months, like so:

Spring: September 1st
Summer: December 1st
Autumn: March 1st
Winter:June 1st

I guess I could add in times as well, but is always midnight.

And thus ends the lesson. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home