Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Knitting disaster... damn dogs!

Anger, much anger folks. Why, you ask. Let me explain.
I came home today, and spied something strewn about the floor at the end of the hall. Damn, I thought, what's Bill gotten into. I walked closer, and recognised knitting. GAAAHHH!!
Let me explain further...
I have not knitted since I was about 10. So to say I am a novice knitter is quite an understatement. Anyways, my sister in law is pregnant with their first, and I had been racking my brains for a gift to give them that would convey how excited I was for them, and how much I care for them. I came up with the idea of knitting some baby clothes for them. How hard could it be, I'll knit them a cute beanie (sp beany, beanie?). I find the pattern, go to Mum hat in hand (figuratively speaking of course), asked her to show me the basics again. Since then, things had been going quite well, with much concentration and many hours put into it. Up til today, I was 3/4 the way through it, and was planning to give it to them on the weekend. Up til today that was..... the balls of wool were nicely strewn throughout the lounge and family room. The actual knitting is mostly all there, but about half a row has come off. Not too bad you say. Not for your more experienced knitter, no. I however, have only mastered knit, purl, and no fixing up mistakes.
So, my options are, pull it apart and start again, or go back to Mum and see if she can fix it for me. Yes, I know the second option is the sensible choice, but I really wanted to do this myself. Also, I will not live this down from Mum. I can hear it now.... "ooh ah, you had the knitting where the dog could get at it.. hmm.. perhaps you should have put it out of reach", "ooh, K. (sister in law), that's a pretty beanie, that's the one Amanda's dog had a little munch at, but I'm sure it's fine now" ....
Needless to say, I'm not talking to the dog at the moment, he is definitely in my bad books!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bou said...

Ack!

Well, you have 4 days... can you whip up another beanie by then????

1:30 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

May have to knit my fingers to the bone, but I'm going to give it a try! :)

1:35 pm  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Heh. That's pretty much my nightmare. I've got 3 projects going right now and 1 high-strung dog! Good luck getting it all straightened out. :)

BTW, this is my first time here (found you from Boudicca), but I'll be back.

12:54 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

Welcome Caltechgirl, nice to meet you! :)

12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home