Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Crockpot chili

We went out and bought a slow cooker (crockpot) the other week and have visions of lots of lovely stews and curries in the winter time. Why did we buy it in Summer then? Well.... too impatient to wait!
First off, we tried a chicken with veges mix. Was quite good, although the moisture level turned out to be a bit low, so the very top part of the chicken was a bit dry. Yummy though.
Second attempt occurred on Sunday. I saw a chili recipe from Dawn at "My life with garlic" (I love the title of that blog, can't get enough garlic!) , and had to give it a try. It was a bit different from her recipe, I had to substitute the condensed black beans or bean soup as I couldn't find any, so used a vege soup instead. And I had no idea what "vegetarian beans" were, (me thinking... as opposed to meat beans?!?!), so used chick peas instead. For the beans of my choice I used butter beans. So with those few alterations we set out to cook us some chilli. Whew boy, I will be using a tad less tabasco sauce next time, quite hot!

Now normally I am not a bean lover, but this was quite good. The corn kernels give it a sweet lift, and the spices are great.

So as far as vegetarian recipes go, I give this the thumbs up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home