Monday, April 11, 2005

Not nuts about peanut butter?

So, Thursday night last week, the hubby and I were watching Lost. They are up to Episode 8, and all in all we are enjoying the show.

Puzzling thing happened in this episode though. The puzzling thing this time was not a plot point as such, no mysterious allusion to a past history of one of the characters. It was with a line in the script that the character Claire came out with. Charlie is quizzing her about what cravings she has, being pregnant and all, saying she must have at least one, and her reply was this:

"Peanut butter. I'm the only Australian who loves peanut butter."

Huh?

Since when? Who says? Hubby and I looked at each other and couldn't believe it. I mean, who does the research for this show? I have never heard that we don't as a country like peanut butter. The actor who plays Claire is actually Australian, I would have thought she'd give them a heads up.

Growing up I practically lived on the stuff, had it on my sandwiches every day at school.

And just to prove the fact that peanut butter is not some poor outcast of a spread here, I sneaked a photo of the rows of it on sale at our local supermarket.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Am I *nuts* for going this far to prove a point? Probably.
Is it a biggy in the grand scheme of things? Of course not, I just thought it was an odd thing for them to make up.

I'm wondering what other misconceptions about Aussies are out there now. I'll have to keep watching Lost to find out! :)


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's at least one Aussie who HATES anything to do with peanuts...

OK, maybe what she said isn't true, but I think it should be the truth! We should have a referendum about it!

1. Do you want a republic?
[]Yes
[]No
2. Should peanuts be BANNED in Australia?
[]Yes
[]Yes

Vegemite roolz! Down with light brown sticky stuff! Dark brown sticky stuff forever!

8:56 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ok, barring those who are allergic to peanuts (Arn), any other Aussies that hate peanut butter?

Not that there is anything wrong with Vegemite, it's yummy too!

7:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Amanda, I viewed that image of the miniature peanut butter jars, and I can't say I'm very impressed. Obviously it's not very popular when they don't sell it in 20 liter buckets. I mean, if you can actually lift the container, is it really worth the bother?

Besides hating peanut butter, I've noticed another peculiarity amongst Aussie males. They seem rather generous with their left over airplane tickets. Granted, I've only been offered flights to Sidney and Brisbane, so maybe I'm too quick to judge. When this came up in another discussion of Oceania, someone mentioned Randy. But I don't know anyone named Randy.

11:34 am  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hmmm... how would you bring peanut butter containers that you couldn't lift? Do the supermarkets there provide forklifts to take 'em to your car? ;) Or is peanut butter only made in the home there ...

Aussies can be generous, although I haven't been offered any free flights!

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see you're too clever to take my bait. All kidding aside, your forklift comment hit a funny bone. You haven't lived until you get a personal shopping assistant with a forklift. And I really like it when they give me two or three helpers. Must be my enchanting personality.

((I buy tons of construction materials, and my shopping exploits are the source of much amusement at home.))

2:27 pm  
Blogger owlish said...

I don't know about needing a forklift, but at the local grocery store you can buy it in 5 lb buckets. You also need no sugar added peanut butter, all-natural peanut butter, and that weird swirled peanut butter and grape jelly stuff.

9:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home