Monday, October 10, 2005

Work update

Those of you who read regularly may remember that I not long started the job I am currently in. I've been there now for about 4 months, although I have been with the company longer in other positions, about 4 years.

Today we had a team meeting. I'm always a bit antsy about team meetings, as quite often in the past for me it meant that my team no longer had a job due to outsourcing.

Well, today's team meeting, the manager announced that our entire team was being relocated to Frenchs Forest. This has been met with universal dismay. This new location is a long way from our current one. At the moment it takes me about 15 minutes to get to work. The new location would take me over an hour. For those of you who travel a lot this probably doesn't seem like a big deal. But for those of us in our team, quite a few live in the area, and this will extend our travelling time a lot. One of the pluses of where we currently are is that it is close to home. And for others in the team, they are even worse off. Some already travel an hour to work, and this will probably double that. Not good. There is not a single person on the team for who this is a better location. Not one. People are worrying about the money we'll lose to tolls, and petrol. Petrol is very expensive here at the moment.

The manager understands this is a big impact on us, and is willing to let us work from home some of the time. Also, there may be a chance of working the other days at Parramatta (much closer suburb, probably 20 minutes drive). He's telling us not to panic, but the team won't be the same anymore, especially with people working from home.

It doesn't happen for another two months, so we will see what gets sorted out, but I will also be keeping an eye out for a new job, one in a different company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home