Friday, November 26, 2004

Recipe of the Week

Normally I post my recipe for the week on Thursday's and I did actually have a nice recipe for Thai style chicken soup painstakingly typed out yesterday. Spent about half an hour agonising over converting litres to fluid ounces etc, double checking no freaky differences for ingredients between here and the US etc etc. Left it for a bit without publishing, came back to publish it, and it came up with an exception report. I tried to go back, but all that I had typed was gone... GRRRR... Hubby b said that I took it very well, which means I didn't try to hurl said computer out of window!
I decided to go with a different recipe, I am typing this at work, so didn't want to lug in the big recipe book the soup was in. I decided to go with another Thai recipe I do, this one I learnt at the local community college, where I did an eight week course in Thai cooking. Today's recipe iiiss... drum roll.... Sweet chicken in green curry paste. I know it can seem like a hassle making up your own green curry paste, but believe me, it is worth it. You can make the paste up days before you need it, and the flavours intensify into extreme yumminess.
So, without further ado, here it is:

Green Curry Paste

2 Tbsp of lemon grass, chopped (usually you can buy a jar of this already pre chopped, if not, chop away on the fresh stuff)
3 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium brown onion, chopped
1 whole coriander (cilantro) plant, chopped (that's right, all of it, leaves, stems, roots)
1 Tsp of lime rind, grated (use a zester for this)
8 fresh green chillies with/without seeds (depends if you like hot or not so hot)
8 black peppercorns (or 1 Tsp of coarsely ground peppercorns)
1 Tsp of ground coriander
1 Tsp of ground cumin
1/2 Tsp laos (or galangal) powder (not crucial this, so if you can't find any, leave it out)
1/4 Tsp of ground cloves
small quantity of oil

Slowly add ingredients into blender with small amounts of oil, until all ingredients are blended into a smooth paste.
Place in a sealed container and refrigerate for 4-5 days until the paste matures.


Sweet Chicken in Green Curry Paste

3 Tbsp of above green curry paste
800 g (28 ounces) chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite size pieces
3 Tbsp of oil
1 fresh green chilli, cut into thin strips
2 cups of coconut cream
2 Tbsp of fish sauce
1 Tbsp of black sugar (can use palm or cane sugar)
1/2 cup of bamboo shoots
1 cup mini eggplant, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh basil, mint, or coriander (cilantro) leaves (whatever takes your fancy)

In a large heavy based wok or saucepan heat the curry paste and chilli with oil over a medium heat. Add coconut cream and heat until it simmers.
Add chicken and bamboo shoots and cook over a low to medium heat until the chicken is cooked. If liquid becomes too thick, add water.
* Taste at this stage, to see if enough paste to your liking. Can add 1-2 Tbsp more paste if required.
Add fish sauce and sugar. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add eggplant and cook for a short time. (eggplant should not be mushy).

Serve with steamed rice, garnish with fresh herb leaves

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet! Now I have a site to come to for recipes! Keep it up, Amanda!

7:23 pm  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

That looks great! How spicy would you say that it is, as written? It doesn't look too terribly bad, but I've got a couple of picky eaters when it comes to spice.

Also, when I'm doing a recipe, I generally type it into the word processor first, that way I have it on the hard drive as well (easy to email later, even if links get broken), and I just cut and paste into the html writer, so if it gets lost, I can just do it again.

3:33 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

ok, for this one, I'd say it is parent friendly (my and hubby b's parents are very much in the English ye olde mode of cooking, so not hot at all). It has a spicy taste, but it doesn't burn in the mouth.

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home