Thursday, November 25, 2004

Recipe talk

Those of you who read this site (c'mon, I know you're out there), will have noticed that each week I post a recipe. What I also do, is post the link to the Carnival of the Recipes. For those of you who haven't heard of this, each week you can send a recipe to the following address:
recipe.carnival(at)gmail(dot)com. A whole bunch of people do this, and take turns publishing all the links for everyone to peruse. It's a great resource for recipes, have seen lots that I want to try. One wrinkle I have had to deal with is the differences between Australia and the US. I knew I had to put in both grams and ounces, and both Celcius and Farenheit, but what I hadn't considered was the different words the countries use for the same ingredient!

Last week I posted a recipe for Anzac biscuits. I knew Americans called them cookies, but I thought they might use that word interchangably with biscuits... oops, not the case, me wrong! When I went to the page where all the recipes were posted (a wonderful job done I must say by Bou of Boudicca's Voice fame), my biscuit recipe was in the bread section, not the cookie section. Huh?? A few comments revealed the reason. In America, biscuits are like a bread thing, that you can have with roast meals and dip in gravy etc. Oh my...
Hubby b and I had a great laugh imagining people dipping anzac biccys (a reasonably sweet biccy) in gravy, and going "Yuck, that's bad! Those Australians sure have weird taste!"
I quickly amended my site to have cookies in brackets, it was moved to the cookies section, crisis over. Phew!
Will enjoy learning what other differences there are!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bou said...

I wish you could have been a fly on the wall when I saw your comment on that post. There was this huge *gasp* followed by a "Oh sh--!" Then I laughed. That's why I put the whole thing in red.

I just had no clue. To make it worse, I'm a Southerner and we eat biscuits with everything. The only time biscuit is interchangeable with cookie is when you're talking dog treats. LOL!

2:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic. We were over at a friend's place that afternoon, and they had a good laugh about it too.

6:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home