Monday, February 21, 2005

Busy times

This week, I have my final essay to write for the philosophy subject I've been doing. It is a hard slog really, but it has been worth doing, no regrets.
Next week, first off I have a guest spot blogging for Mellie Helen, wish me luck. Now, I have to have enough interesting stuff happen to write for two! hehe, it should be good fun I think.

Also next week, I hope to begin the book cataloging project. Over the years, hubby and I have accumulated enough books to accomodate a small library, so finding a particular book has become a lengthy process, especially if I am not sure we own it in the first place.
So I've decided to put them all in a database, which means lugging them one pile at a time upstairs to type title, author, category into said database. This also has another benefit. At the moment all our books are stacked in piles of the floor of the would be library, as we haven't had time to organise bookcases yet in the new house. As they are all stacked on the floor, it is hard to take measurements etc, let alone move bookcases into the room. So as the books are taken upstairs to catalog, I will pile them on the floor in stacks upstairs!
Then when we get the bookcases, I will move them back downstairs (who needs to go to the gym!), and then I have to decide how I am going to put them. I'm thinking by author, but then I might also do it by category. So fiction by author, then non fiction in sections such as philosophy, biography etc.
Does this mean I have too much time on my hands?..... possibly :)

- oh, and in other exciting furniture news (yes, I do need to get out more often), we get our new sofas delivered this week, hoorah! This means the old guys get moved upstairs (yes, more exercise and the upstairs getting crowded with all the books and old lounges).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh! New sofas - lucky you! My mum has offered to buy us a couple of new ones for the house (when it's built one day) - so we'll have to compare noets then!

8:55 pm  
Blogger Mellie Helen said...

Yuuurrrgh, we've been doing the cataloguing thing for months now. Books, video tapes, DVD, audio cassettes, everything. The good that's come of it? Realizing we had way more than we needed or wanted. A lot of materials have gone straight to the library!

5:03 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

New sofas arrive on Saturday, hoorah!

We have sooo many books, DVDs, videos, not much in the way of audio cassettes though. I bought the entire series of MASH on video, a video with three episodes came every month for years... as soon as I got the last one, they started releasing them on DVD! Doh!

6:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home